Explore the History of Richwood, Ohio
Richwood Opera House
The Richwood Town Hall, also known as the Opera House, is the most memorable building in town. It has become a symbol for the village, the motto on the town sign reads “Where the Clock Chimes Hospitality,” referencing the clock tower on top of the town hall. The building has been around since 1890 making it around 130 years old.
Old Richwood Graveyard
The Old Richwood Graveyard, located on Ottawa Street, is the one of the oldest cemeteries in Union County. The early settlers of Richwood have been buried in this graveyard for almost 200 years. There was even some controversy surrounding the ownership of the cemetery in 1889.
Richwood Public Library
The Richwood-North Union Public Library began thanks to the efforts of the local Carpe Diem Club. Philip Plummer, who purchased the acreage and surveyed the land which became known as Richwood in 1832, even designated a parcel of land, lot 44, as the site of a future library. Thanks to the efforts of the Carpe Diem Club, the library, along with the Board of Trustees was officially established on January 26, 1915.
Richwood had its own trolley and interurban railway situated downtown from 1907 to 1918. The first car on the interurban arrived on Thanksgiving day, 1907. Franklin street from the Erie depot south was filled with people anxious to get a peek at the first car, which arrived exactly on time. The company eventually abandoned the line, and the last car ran for the last time on December 31, 1918.
The Richwood Lake is a beautiful addition to the village and greatly improves the surrounding area. The lake was previously known as Lake Baccarat and was originally a gravel pit owned by various companies throughout the years. There was a small crusher at the site of the pit at one point until the owner went broke. Lake Baccarat opened as a place of recreation in the summer of 1924. It ended up being owned by the Village and became the Richwood Lake in 1942.
More Richwood History?
You can find this and much more in the book The Rich Woods of Union County by Charles Barry & Dustin Lowe.